In the magick and witchcraft community, love spells are almost always a source of contention and controversy. For many baby witches, this is the first spell they perform and it usually backfires on them in the end. Even in Hollywood, we see the cautionary tales portraying the dangers of this type of spellwork. But I have always been someone to find the middle ground and to decide for myself. Are love spells okay or are they dangerous?
On Free Will
The number one argument is that love spells take away someone’s free will. If you cast a love spell on someone so that they can only see you in a romantic light and they must fall in love with you, it's really not love at all. Love should always be a choice, and choosing to love someone makes the romance that much sweeter. Plus over time, if you do not maintain your spellwork, it will wear off and end in disaster. I don’t know about you, but just thinking about that exhausts me!
Instead, you should direct the love spell to yourself and not to the person you want to fall for you. A properly done love spell will make you attractive to a potential lover, not force a specific person to love you. This leaves the result open to the universe so that your soulmate can find you at the right time, and make you like a shining beacon in their eyes. The rest will happen naturally as you get to know each other and fall in love. No perpetual love spells required!
Crafting Ethical Love Spells
It is natural to desire love and connection, so for this, love spells can be a great thing and they don’t deserve all the bad rep they get in the modern witchcraft community. If you are using them to gain an organic romance and not to break up another couple for your own gain (which can backfire real quick!), understanding love spells is an important tool for a witch’s toolbox. But love spells don’t need to be limited to attracting romance, they can also be used to attract loving and loyal friendships or to enhance feelings of love already present in existing partnerships.
How to Enchant Items
Enchanting, or charming, items can be a useful first step for a love spell or can even be a simple spell on its own. As part of a spell, you can use this technique to tell the ingredients exactly what you want them to attract. Since we’re talking about love spells today, be sure to specify who you want to attract. Do you want a friend with benefits, a lover, or a soulmate?
It may help you to journal a bit before settling on your intention. Get clear on exactly what you want and visualize that energy infusing the item you hold in your hands. On its own, you can enchant or charm an item like jewelry or any other kind of pendant or talisman, something you will keep on you at all times, and it will act as a magnet to whatever intention you enchanted it with.
Begin Your Love Spell
Either way, you’ll want to start with cleansing your items. This will reset the energy and get rid of any energies your item may have picked up so you can put your own intention into it. You can do this by passing them through sacred smoke, allowing it to sit in salt overnight, or immersing it in a fresh, natural source of water. Next, cleanse and set your space by lighting candles and turning on romantic music that will get you in the right mindset for this spell.
If you want to add candle magick, light two pink candles, two red candles, or one of each, depending on your intention. If you are wanting to attract someone for a sexual relationship, red draws passion and lust. If you want to attract a soulmate, pink draws unconditional love and romance. Love spells should be done during the Full Moon, and you can remember this by thinking you want to bring this love spell to “fullness,” or increase your opportunity to find a lover.
Once you put your intention into your item, you can stop there, or you can craft a simple mojo bag love spell. You can either charm a talisman or amulet and add it to the bag or simply charm the ingredients you choose for this spell. As for your bag, you can use something like the organza bags your crystals from The Witch’s Guide shop come in, or our Velvet Owl Pouch. You will be wearing it on your person when you go out, so might as well make it something stylish!
How to Create Your Own Love Spell
You have many options when it comes to what you want to put inside your bag. First, let's go over just a few of the different herbs and crystals you can use for love spells. With your intent in mind, choose which herbs and crystals are the best match!
Herbs for Love Spells
- Rose is the flower of Cupid which makes it a popular choice for love spells for attracting a lover.
- Hibiscus is also popular in love spells, but more than rose, it carries the energy of committed partnerships. Use in combination with rose if you are looking to attract a long-lasting romance.
- Lavender, like rose, is a classic ingredient for a love spell. Just the smell of it is said to attract lovers, particularly if you want to attract men. It also attracts harmonious friendships.
- Jasmine bestows intoxicating beauty and is a good choice if you’re less into the sexual side of love and looking to attract a spiritual connection instead of a one night stand.
- Yarrow is associated with Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty, and not only can it be used to attract a romantic relationship, but also friendship with those of whom you deeply desire connection.
- Marshmallow Root is also associated with the goddess Aphrodite and is used to heighten desire, passion, and sexuality. This is one of the more persuasive herbs on the list so it packs a punch in a love spell.
- Lemon Balm is used to enhance love and romance between couples and overall success in relationships. It also attracts loyal friendships.
- Damiana, like lemon balm, is used to encourage loyalty and commitment within relationships, but also stirs up feelings of lust and sexual passion.
- Catnip is used for attracting love, beauty, and a playful spirit, capturing the mysteries of the feline, radiating a euphoric energy.
Crystals for Love Spells
- Rose Quartz is the best crystal to use for attracting all types of love, including self-love and friendship, and could be used in combination with rose petals to create a simple, two ingredient love spell.
- Rhodonite is a wonderful stone to include if you have a history of relationships ending in heartbreak. This crystal helps you heal from past wounds so you can attract new beginnings for strong and healthy relationships.
- Emerald is known as the “Stone of Successful Love,” “Seeker of Love,” and “Revealer of Truth.” It can attract friendship but is most commonly used as a stone for committed partnerships to bring harmony and loyalty.
- Green Aventurine attracts luck, so it is a great choice for a successful first date. Connected to the heart chakra, this crystal increases love and attracts new friendships by opening your heart to new opportunities.
- Lapis Lazuli is another great choice for a first date, specifically if you need help making a decision about the other person. It allows you to tap into your intuition and speak your truth, getting clear on what you really want. If it is time to put yourself out there, Lapis Lazuli gives you the bravery to begin a new adventure.
- Carnelian is a stone of courage and action, so it is the best choice for those nervous about entering the dating pool. It boosts your self-esteem and helps you feel more confident. You can also add it to a bag for attracting a passionate and sexual relationship.
- Opalite is ideal to help you relax and not take relationships too seriously, giving you a light-hearted approach. It is a crystal of new beginnings that helps you find love and see your own self-worth.
- Citrine gives you the optimism to go after what you want! Having a positive mindset makes you more successful at manifesting and attracting friends or romantic partnerships, magnetically drawing the right people to you.
- Garnet symbolizes the lifeblood, so it is great for attracting or enhancing love, sexual passion, and long-lasting romantic relationships.
To put the bag together, choose a few or many of the ingredients, matching them to your desired result. Hold the ingredients between your palms before adding them to the bag, reflecting on what you want them to do. Make sure you are focusing on what you want to attract, not what you no longer want or what you don't have.
Another idea to make this intention even stronger is to write it onto a small piece of paper, fold it up, and add it to the bag. Once all of your chosen ingredients are inside your bag, cinch it shut and say something like, “And so it is,” or “So mote it be.” Leave it alone, trusting that it is already working and your spell is finished.
Keep it near you in a purse or a pocket. You can even attach it to a chain and wear it around your neck so that the bag sits near your heart underneath your shirt. Carry it until your intention comes true. Once you are finished with it, bury it or deconstruct the spell and properly dispose of the remains.
What are your thoughts about love spells and enchantments? Share with us in the comments below.
Saving this Article for Later? Pin It.
Shop at The Witch's Guide
Apothecary herbs, crystals, spell candles, oils, incense, ritual tools, herbal teas, gift sets, and more. The Witch's Guide Shop. We plant one tree for every product sold!
Community Facebook Group
Join our community of witchy spirits over in our Facebook Group, The Witch's Guide. We talk about witchcraft, magick, spirituality, and manifestation!